As I have made some changes myself I am showing what I have done to adapt my own house to today’s conditions compared to the conditions it was built to encounter.
- Doubled the number of rain down pipes to 6 to accommodate the more extreme rainfall we experience.
- Fitted drainage gutters in the garden on the upside of the slope to channel away flood water.
- Put in more thermal insulation to the roof and to the underfloor to preserve heat in the winter.
- Fitted heavy curtains to insulate the windows in winter as the heating could not keep up with the heat loss.
- Installed solar panels to eliminate electricity bills.
- Fitted a time switch to use the solar electricity to heat the water during the day.
- Installed fans over the cooker and shower to reduce moisture inside the house.
- Fitted LED lighting to reduce electricity consumption at night.
- We moved to the middle of town and dramatically reduced our petrol consumption.